Networking is key to meeting other professionals in your field and maybe even landing a job or internship. The Career Center will offer many programs this semester to help you improve these skills. One such event will be Evening with Industry: Expo Edition on September 13 (the night before the Expo!). See details here: http://www.utdallas.edu/calendar/event.php?id=1220185961
Part 2 of Networking Basics covers tips you need to know while mixing and mingling:
- You must mingle and meet new people. If there are chairs, don’t stay in your seat.
- Work your way around the room, introducing yourself as you join in conversations.
- Carry drinks in your left hand so that your right hand is available for handshakes.
- If finger food is available, you must balance your small plate and drink in your left hand. The drink should rest on the plate.
- Sip your drink and talk. Let the ice cubes melt.
- Do not hover over the hors d’oeuvres. Eat a snack before leaving home if you are really hungry.
- Avoid smoking.
- Behave as you would in the office; flirting is not allowed.
- Don’t be the last to leave.
- Write thank-you notes to your host(s).