As LinkedIn puts it: “Your professional network of trusted contacts gives you an advantage in your career, and is one of your most valuable assets. LinkedIn exists to help you make better use of your professional network and help the people you trust in return.”
With recruiters now sourcing active (and passive) candidates on LinkedIn, would you want to be left out? Of course not! So, make your profile easy to find and professional.
- Add an email address to your Summary section so recruiters can contact you easily.
- Add what types of roles and jobs you have done – your keywords are critical.
- In the Websites section, select “other” and then add up to 3 websites: blog, product, personal.
- Add your Twitter account.
- Make your profile visible. Let recruiters know they can contact you regarding job opportunities.
- Join appropriate groups and introduce yourself. Employers post jobs for free in groups – this is a goldmine!
- Customize your LinkedIn URL; use your name instead of the generic letters LinkedIn first assigns to you.
- Use a professional profile head shot. It brands you!
- Connect, Connect, Connect!
Content credit: Gail Houston, Social Media Program Manager and Sourcer at Intuit